Are Hydrangeas Poisonous To Dogs?

Written by Wen Duan

Are Hydrangeas Poisonous To Dogs?

Yes. Hydrangeas are toxic to your dog.

Hydrangeas are a flowering bushy plant that is commonly used as a landscaping plant. It forms flowers late in the spring through the fall. They come in a variety of colors and are beautiful. Since they are so common, your pet may eat them on your walks or in your yard.  

The most poisonous part of the hydrangea are the flowers and the leaves. If your dog eats the leaves or the flowers, they may develop signs of toxicity. 

The toxin that is in hydrangeas is known as cyanogenic glycosides, more commonly known as prussic acid or cyanide. When a dog chews on the plant it activates a release of the toxin.  This chemical is the hydrangeas natural defense mechanism that deters insects and herbivores. It is also believed to help the plant keep bacteria, viruses, and fungi from growing on it. 

Hydrangea poisoning is dependent on the amount your dog eats. This means your pet must eat a certain amount of the plant in order to show signs of poisoning. Smaller dogs are at higher risk of poisoning since they have to eat less than larger dogs to get sick. 

What are symptoms of hydrangea poisoning? 

Depending on how much your dog has eaten, symptoms of hydrangea poisoning can include: 

  • Vomiting 
  • Diarrhea
  • Depression 
  • loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Increased heart rate
  • Confusion
  • Increased Body Temperature 

These symptoms usually appear within 15-30 minutes after eating. If your dog has any of these symptoms, and you suspect they may have eaten hydrangea plant, take them to the vet.

Is Hydrangea poison Deadly?

According to American Society for prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), serious poisonings are rare. Most animals who eat hydrangeas suffers gastrointestinal upset. These symptoms usually appear within 15-30 minutes of eating  this plant. 

Taking your dog to the vet

If you notice signs of poisoning end up taking your dog to the vet, bring a sample of the plant with you (leaves and flowers), so your vet can properly identify the plant. 

Your vet may run some blood and urine test to make sure your pet's organ function is normal.

Make sure to follow your vet's recommendations to help your dog recover. 

About the author

Wen Duan

Wen is a proud dog mom and a frequent contributor to our blog.