A dog cooling mat is perfect for keeping your dog's body temperature low, thus keeping it safe from dehydration and heatstroke from the scorching summer heat.
After a long walk or playing in the hot sun, dogs only rely on panting to cool down. Nonetheless, panting isn't enough to keep the dog's temperature down on a hot day due to their fur-coat.
However, the best large dog cooling mat can help your dog to cool down and be comfortable even on the hottest summer days.
Our Top 5 Picks - Best Cooling Mat For Large Dogs
#1 - Chillz Cooling Mat
#2 - Pressure Activated Gel Cooling Mat
#3 - Pet Dog Self Cooling Mat Pad
#4 - Arf Pets Dog Self Cooling Mat Pad
#5 - VeMee Summer Cooling Mat
What is a Dog Cooling Mat?
A dog cooling mat is a mat designed for a dogs to lie on in order to cool off their core body temperature.
The mats feature either a cooling gel or cold water that helps dogs to reduce their body temperature during the summer period.
How to Choose the Best Large Dog Cooling Mat
Choosing the best large dog cooling mat, however, is not an easy experience because they come in different varieties and with different designs. Knowing the kind of cooling mat you want for your dog is the first step towards choosing the best dog cooling mat. Here are some of the options available in the market:
- Water-filled dog cooling mat: This dog cooling mat is simple but effective when it comes to cooling your dog's core. The water-filled dog cooling mat might be your best option if you don't like the self-charging dog gel cooling mat. You only need to fill it with water and put it in your freezer or refrigerator to acquire its cooling effect.
- Automatic dog gel cooling mat: This option is the most popular and most effective of all types of dog mats in the market. However, they are also the most expensive dog cooling mats in the market. It comes pre-filled with a cooling gel whose temperature levels are usually lower than the outside temperature levels and range between 5 and 10 degrees. The automatic cooling technology offers a regular extra cooling effect for some time before being recharged for 3 to 4 hours.
- Simple gel-filled cooling mat: This option is the cheapest and the least effective of all types of dog cooling mats available in the market. Nonetheless, it might be a great option if you are on a budget and in a place where temperatures are exceedingly high.
Knowing the kind of dog cooling mat you want for your dog will help you narrow down the options, thereby having an easier time settling for the best dog cooling mat.
What are the Benefits of the Best Large Dog Cooling Mat?
Having the best large dog cooling mat has its fair share of benefits. The most obvious benefit is that it works to keep your dog's temperatures down during the summer period.
Cooling down your dog down, however, isn't the only benefit. This is because cooling mats can also provide an excellent sleeping surface for your dog since they have a softer cooler surface as compared to the floor.
Dog cooling mats are also great at managing the body temperatures of overweight or senior dogs whose body temperature management system isn't working optimally.
When it comes to transporting your dog, a cooling mat will also come in handy. What's more, dog cooling mats can provide your dog relief from painful ailments such as swellings, arthritis, Cushing's disease, and other inflammatory diseases.
Things to look out for when buying the best large dog cooling mat
Some of the features of a dog cooling mat that will determine how best it works for your dog include:
How large is your dog? The size of your dog will determine the size of the dog cooling mat you buy. This is because a cooling mat should be big enough to accommodate your dog comfortably. You don't want to buy a cooling mat that is overly big or too small for the dog to fit when stretching.
- Thermal Efficiency
The efficiency of a dog cooling mat depends on the temperature difference between the dog and the cooling mat. Dog cooling mats feature different designs. As such, they have different cooling times. Choose a cooling mat that has a higher thermal efficiency because it will cool your dog for longer. Moreover, check how faster the cooling mat returns to its original state once it has cooled your dog.
Check whether the dog cooling mat you intend to buy is easily portable. A portable dog cooling mat offers flexibility, especially when going with your dog on vacation or moving from one place to another within your house. Additionally, it should be easy to roll up and store.
- Ease of cleaning
You should confirm that the dog cooling mat is easy to clean. Fortunately, most dog cooling mats are waterproof, which makes them easy to clean. Keep in mind that they feature fabric material. Therefore, do not use chemical detergents to clean them.
Ordinarily, you will want to buy a cooling mat that serves you for a long time. So, consider picking a cooling mat that is durable to ensure your dog enjoys its cooling effects for long while you get value for money.
Our Top Picks - Best Large Dog Cooling Mats
Chillz Cooling Mat features a design that keeps your dog cool and comfortable. It utilizes a pressure activated gel technology that absorbs the dog's body heat while relieving its joint pains.
It features automatic rechargeable cooling technology that allows air to cool your dog during use and recharge when not in use. The lightweight design makes this cooling mat easy to carry around. It features puncture-resistant material that makes it durable.
This multi-use dog cooling mat can be used both indoors and outdoors and on the go. It folds up quickly for storage and measures 36' x 20', thus sufficiently accommodating for small and large dogs. Since it features non-toxic gel, it might be the best dog cooling mat for your dog, your family members, and the environment.
- The automatic cooling gel works great without electricity, refrigeration, or water
- Soft and comfortable yet puncture-resistant and durable
- Features non-toxic gel thus safe for use at home
- Not for use under direct sunlight because it gets hot after absorbing heat
This Pressure-Activated Gel Cooling mat from TheGreenPetShop store features original self-cooling pads that cool and soothes your large dog on contact for up to 3 hours. The automatic cooling pads don't need refrigeration, electricity, or water to recharge their chilly properties.
It measures 27.5 x 45 inches, making it an ideal choice for extra-large dogs. It's lightweight and folding design makes it convenient for travel. You can lay this multi-use dog cooling mat on the floor, sofa, in the kennel, bed, or outdoors in the shade to keep your dog cool and comfortable.
Cleaning this dog cooling mat from TheGreenPetShop Store is also a breeze, as it requires a simple cleaning process by hand with a damp cloth. If you have an extra-large dog, then this could be your ideal dog cooling mat.
- The pressure-activated gel works instantly to provide immediate cooling for your dog
- Extra-large design for large dogs
- Multi-use design allows you to lay it on floors, furniture, car, or in bed/crate.
- Not for use under direct sunlight, as it affects performance
- Toxic to the dog if chewed
Pet Dog Self Cooling Mat Pad is an automatic recharging dog cooling mat that provides your dog with a continuous temperature relief. It features a sturdy nylon cushion with an innovative cool gel interior that delivers a cooling, relaxing, and soothing feeling to your dog for up to 3 hours.
It has a multi-use design that allows you to use it not only as a cooling mat but also in relaxing and consoling your dog when recovering from surgery. This is because its design allows it to relieve pain, stress, swelling, skin conditions, Cushing's disease, and many other discomforts in dogs. Moreover, it is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.
It features an innovative construction that is safe for both you and your dog. Moreover, the cooling gel is non-toxic. It is lightweight and easy to fold, thus making its storage and transportation effortless. It might also be an ideal choice if you are looking for a multi-use dog cooling mat.
- Automatic cooling gel relaxes and soothes your dog continuously for up to 3 hours
- Self-charging mat pad that requires no refrigeration, electricity, or water
- Non-toxic construction gel material hence safe for you and your dog
- It tears up easily
Arf Pets Pet Dog Self Cooling Mat Pad provides a long lasting solution for keeping your large dogs cool and comfortable during the hottest and most humid seasons. It features a solid-gel cooling material that is responsible for absorbing your dog's body heat, relaxing, and soothing it for up to 3 continuous hours.
It features a safe and sturdy nylon cushion that is easy to clean and maintain. The design of this mat allows you to use it in the kennel, car, RV, or while outdoors. The nylon and cooling gel materials are non-toxic hence safe for you, your dog, and the environment.
This multipurpose dog cooling mat is not only ideal for cooling the dogs but also caring for ailing dogs and those recovering from surgery, pain, stress, swelling, Cushing's disease, skin conditions, and other health conditions. The lightweight and folding construction allows quick storage and travel, thus making it ideal for those who like traveling with their dogs.
- Self-activating gel capable of delivering continuous 3 hours cooling effect
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Flexible and retain its shape even after folding
- Too flimsy for large dogs
This VeMee Summer Cooling Mat for dog features double sides with one made of self-cooling ice silk fabric that absorbs the dog's body heat. The other side features a soft, breathable mesh that is comfortable and capable of delivering a soothing feel.
It measures 40 x 28 inches, thus making it ideal for large dogs. Despite its size, it folds easily for storage and travel. It is lightweight and great for travel and on the go. You can lay it on the floor, kennel, dog bed, car seat, or outdoors in the shade.
It is a multipurpose dog cooling mat that is ideal for older dogs, those suffering from joint pain, or those recovering from surgery. If you have an older dog that needs an excellent cooling mat, then this could be an ideal pick.
- Lightweight and portable; ideal for traveling and outdoor activities
- Easy to clean, as it is both machine and hand wash safe
- Multipurpose use thus perfect for floors, couches, crate, and kennels
- Not great for cooling
Every dog owner wants to keep his or her dog's temperatures low during the summer seasons. Although there are plenty of dog cooling mats in the market, choosing the best one can save your dog from dehydration and overheating.
The best large dog cooling mat in this review is Chillz Cooling Mat. This mat stands out from the rest thanks to its automatic rechargeable cooling pad, innovative lightweight nature, and the inclusion of a pressure activated gel technology that works to absorb your dog's body heat. It is also medium-sized, making it ideal for both large and small dogs.